To add to the industrial feel of the town I wanted to add a gasometer. I wasn’t really happy with many of the kits that were availible so I decided to have a go at scratch building it.

Because of the sheer size of gasometers in 1/1 scale my gasometer was going to have to be quite underscaled to fit on the layout. The base of the gasometer for the layout only measures about 7cm diameter, about 12 meters in N scale.

Base of Gasometer, drilling

I made the base by using a hole saw to cut out a circle from a piece of chipboard. I then put post holes around the edge about 30 degrees apart. This made a total of 12 post holes. These were drilled the thickness of a cocktail stick.

Lighter, Drawing Pin, Knife, Plastic, Ruler, Pencil and Chipboard

Having completed the base I moved onto the the vertical pillars which would be made from coctail sticks. I cut about 2.5 cm off each so that they had a flat base and weren’t as tall. I then glued these into position on the post holes I had drilled earlier.

I used some plastic ‘I’ bar to create the rings holding all of the pillars apart/together. I had noticed that on the prototype most of these had a pattern cut out of them. I thought it would be too difficult and time consuming to create a pattern so I just decided to put some holes through the center of them to resemble a pattern. The holes were made by heating a pin and pushing it through the plastic (melting it). The plastic was cut into 1.4 cm lengths and glued between the pillars at a height of 4 cm marked out.

Top ring complete using cocktail sticks and plastic

I did the same thing for the bottom ring of the gasometer. The lower ring would be at a height of 2 cm from the base.I had used super glue to do both rings and it has proved to work quite well.

Both rings complete

After I had done the two rings I wanted to add some cross supports for decoration. They probably wouldn’t have been used on a gasometer so small in real life but I wanted to add them for decoration. To do the cross ties I used some cotton and a needle and carefully threaded it around the structure to make a pattern. As I went along I would secure each joint with a small bit of superglue to make it strong.

Now I had created the structure it was time to paint it. I decided to put a basecoat of rust on and worrie about weathering it later. The paint I used was humbrol 113 rust enamel. The painting was quite time consuming and quick tricky at points. I took the effort to paint the cross ties aswell, this would help to stop them from fraying.

Base-coat of rust coloured paint